The Paediatric first aid training course, formerly First aid for child carers, is designed for people caring for children in any setting.
It is suitable for au pairs, nannies, childminders, nursery and pre-school workers, sport and leisure staff, crèche leaders, parents and anyone responsible for the welfare of children.
The paediatric first aid training course is recognised and includes the requirements of the appointed person in the workplace.
In-line with the statutory framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage, it can be used as evidence for an NVQ in childcare and education.
Course content includes:
- dealing with accidents
- unconscious and breathing baby and child
- unconscious and not breathing baby and child
- choking baby and child
- medical conditions
- diabetic emergency
- severe allergic reaction (anaphylactic shock)
- sickling crisis
- first aid kits and hygiene techniques
- bleeding and wounds
- burns and scalds
- objects in eyes, ears and nose
- recording, reporting and administering medication
- extremes of hot and cold
- sickness and fever
- broken bones
- head, neck and back injuries
- swallowed something harmful